Kenya probes curfew police after ‘sick child dies’

An officer at a curfew roadblock in Nairobi, Kenya

Police have put up roadblocks nationwide to implement a curfew launched to cut back coronavirus infections

Kenya’s police watchdog has begun an investigation into studies {that a} child died after officers on curfew obligation refused to let a taxi go to hospital.

The four-month-old had developed respiration difficulties on Saturday and was rushed to a neighborhood hospital, the grandfather advised the Nation newspaper.

Medics stated the kid wanted to go to a referral hospital 25km (15 miles) away.

However officers at a roadblock allegedly refused to allow them to cross due to a Covid curfew.

Kenya has imposed a 22:00-04:00 curfew to curb a surge in coronavirus infections.

“If it weren’t for that roadblock, the lifetime of my granddaughter may have been saved,” stated the infant’s grandfather, talking in Swahili, in a video posted on the Nation’s Fb web page


The police haven’t responded to the BBC’s request for remark.

Final month, 1000’s of motorists and passengers had been stranded for hours in visitors within the capital, Nairobi, after police blocked main roads within the metropolis.

The authorities have been extensively criticised however they insist that strict enforcement of the curfew is critical to cope with the rise in an infection.

Kenya has confirmed greater than 161,000 instances of coronavirus and simply over 2,700 deaths.

What occurred to the infant?

The taxi with the sick little one left Gucha hospital arriving on the roadblock within the western city of Keroka simply after 22:00 on Saturday, in response to The Nation, which spoke to the grandfather and the taxi driver he employed.

The household was heading for Kisii Educating and Referral Hospital (KTRH).

“We had been held for greater than 40 minutes on the roadblock regardless of having a referral letter from Gucha hospital. Police insisted that we had defied the rules issued by the president,” the grandfather is quoted as saying.

The taxi driver appeared for another path to get the 16-year-old mom, her child and her father to KTRH when negotiations failed.

“I attempted to speak to them however my pleas felt on deaf ears,” Aron Okindo advised the paper.


An officer advised the Nation that the automobile was solely on the roadblock for 15 minutes due to a build-up of visitors.

Nonetheless, the grandfather says by the point they reached KTRH by one other route it was an hour later.

“Medical doctors advised us that the kid had already died,” the grandfather stated.

The Impartial Policing Oversight Authority, the company answerable for investigating police misconduct in Kenya, advised the BBC it had been made conscious of the incident and was investigating.

Extra on coronavirus in Kenya:


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *